Monday, December 17, 2012

it's beginning to look a lot like... coconut flan {food matters project}


Our neighbors in Brooklyn really get into the season. We've got some crazy home decor going on over here. Santas sledding down roofs, mangers jam packed with all manner of live stock, snowmen unable to melt, and all blinking lights bright enough to blind the nearest driver.

I, on the other hand, have been feeling less than festive.

In order to add a little holiday spirit to this blog I've dressed up this week's Food Matters Project recipe with some bright red gems, inspired by my two favorite food bloggers: Joanne and Joy.


We've been eating pomegranate seeds like crazy at our house (my son and I devoured a whole one together just last night). They are the perfect way to chase away any bah-humbug mood. I mean how can you frown while biting into these sassy little treats? You just can't.


Unfortunately, my Coconut Flan, this week's Food Matters Project, chosen by Lan, was a bit of a disaster.

Never having made caramel for flan {or for anything else} I had no idea how long to boil it and as a result cooked it too long so it doesn't flow over the white flan in rivulets but sits atop in a chewy glob
{it worked better when I didn't scoop the caramel but left it in the tin}.

In addition to this I thought I'd be fancy and make the flan in scallop-edged tart tins. Only problem is that they don't come out very cleanly, and leave a puddle below.

{note} When I waited a few hours longer they did come out cleanly from the tins, so if you make them make sure to wait at least 6-8 hours before trying to wrench them form their shells.


This dessert is super sweet. I think if I make it again I will cut the sugar by half, and rely on the caramel for all of its sweetness.

Check out what everyone else did here.

{recipe}




5 comments:

  1. these turned out beautifully! i had to make them THREE times before they came out ok. it was definitely a challenging dish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your making me wish I had made the flan this week! I love that you put poms on top and I'm honored by your mention in this post. You're too sweet girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum, what a delicious creation.

    XO,
    Catherine
    FEST (food, style, travel)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They turned out great! The pomegranate seeds are quite a lovely touch. You actually spurred me to go out and buy a couple for sprinkling on salads, desserts, and of course, eating by the handful ;)

    ReplyDelete