My husband hates coconut. This doesn't sound like earth shaking news. Unless you like to make veganized versions of creamy recipes. Then it becomes a big problem. You see, coconut oil and milk pop up all over the vegan recipe world. Fortunately, this soup masks the flavor and gives you something closer to mashed potatoes with a hint of garlic. The way creamy vegan food was meant to be.
Creamy Vegan Cauliflower Soup
From Shrinking Kitchen
1 large head of cauliflower
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 large carrots, diced
2 cloves garlic, smashed
2 cups water or vegetable broth
1 cup of water
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup coconut milk (unsweetened)
Step by step
- Wash and core the cauliflower, then coarsely chop. Set aside.
- Heat a large, deep pot over medium-high heat, then add the coconut oil. When oil is melted, add onions, carrots, and garlic. Stir with a wooden spoon and cook until they're soft and golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped cauliflower and cook until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add the broth (water) and water, then bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook, covered, until the vegetables are very tender, about 30-45 minutes.
- Add in coconut milk, sea salt, and pepper.
- Puree soup in a high speed blender, Vitamix, or with an immersion blender.