Avocados are an all or nothing proposition.You run into Costco-trouble when you buy a whole bag and have them all come ripe (all 10 of them) at the same time! And then your husband tells you at every moment he can think of that they are ripe and need to be eaten, while he doesn't eat them, but has a brie and ham sandwich instead.
Now that I have 4 soups under my belt (I've been steadily making one a week since my resolution) I am ready to experiment. Mostly because I could not find a recipe that included avocados (at least two of them to make a dent in our ever-going-bad collection) and broccoli (another overwhelming Costco purchase of more broccoli than any human can eat in a reasonable amount of time) that I liked. So I made my own up. It came out pretty yummy. The lemon makes the dish!
I am entering this post over at Kahakai Kitchen's Souper Sunday, where you can see other great, healthy soups, salads and sandwiches!
Vegan Avocado and Broccoli Soup
Meadows Cooks Original
- 2 tablespoons oil
- One onion, peeled and chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, pressed
- 4 cups frozen broccoli florets
- One small bunch cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 4 cups water or vegetable broth
- Juice of one lemon
- 2 avocados
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in Soup pot or Dutch oven. Add onions and cook until translucent, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cook until just become fragrant, but not browned. Add cilantro and cook until fragrant. Add water or broth and lemon, avocados and seasonings. Cover and cook another 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and blend with an immersion blender. You can blend as smooth as you like. I like mine chunky, with texture, but you can make it super smooth as well.