Friday, February 14, 2014

salted tahini-date caramels {vegan and raw}





I am not going to lie. I ate the entire batch of these caramels in one sitting, by myself.

So, maybe they are not the best Valentine's Day gift. An empty box doesn't make for a great gift.

BUT if you can hold yourself in check, and allow a few to remain in the gift, the recipient will be forever grateful. They are vegan and raw, after all. And there is no extra sugar added: only the sweetness of the dates. Kind of amazing how much they resemble the real deal. I felt fully vindicated in eating them all.

A sinless pleasure.

So, maybe they ARE the best Valentine's Day gift.

Hard to know.

You'll just have to see for yourself.

Salted Tahini-Date Caramels
Adapted from The Kitchn
Makes about 18 candies

Ingredients
  • 1 cup pitted dates
  • 1/2 cup tahini
  • 2-3 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom (optional)
  • 1/8 teaspoon fleur de sel or other finishing salt
Instructions
  1. Combine the dates, tahini, coconut oil, and cardamom in food processor. You should have a very smooth, creamy, thick paste. Mine had a lot of oil which separated from the rest, which I poured off the top.
  2. Transfer mixture to a parchment lined loaf pan. The entire ingredients does not fill a pan, so I formed it onto a flat bar or paste and rolled it in parchment paper. Sprinkle salt on top.
  3. Freeze until firm. Cut into bite-sized pieces.
  4. Store in an airtight container in the freezer for up to a month.

3 comments:

  1. Ooo these sound lovely. I think, especially knowing they were pretty good for me, I wouldn't be able to resist eating them either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these today and they have absolutely satisfied a sweet tooth- They are delicious!

    ReplyDelete