Monday, April 14, 2014

green bean fritters and homemade mayo




After making macarons a question is bound to come up.

What do I do with all those extra egg yolks?

I asked a friend and she said she always makes mayonnaise.

The image that came to my mind was that gloppy white substance that is the ubiquitous in American fridges and never found in ours.

But, when I decided to try out her recipe, what I got was a fabulously rich, creamy, flavorful sauce that perfectly complimented my green bean fritters. I imagine it would go well on any number of vegetable dishes, especially roasted asparagus.

So don't turn away out of hand. Check it out. It may the best thing you've had in a long time.

Green Bean Fritters
Makes 8-9 fritters, adapted from Nikki's Yum

Ingredients
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/2 onion, finely diced
  • 4-5 dried sage leaves, crushed
  • 3 cups green beans, steamed and finely chopped
  • 1/3 cup goat cheese, finely crumbled
  • 2/3 cup bread crumbs (I used the leftovers from a cumin bread I made prior - it added a nice flavor to the fritters)
  • 1/4 teaspoon cumin powder (optional)
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp ground pepper
Instructions
  1. Saute onion in oil until fragrant and slightly wilted.
  2. Make sure all the water has been squeezed out of the green beans. I wrapped it in a cloth towel and squeezed out all the excess water.
  3. Once onion is cooled a bit mix all ingredients in a bowl. Scoop out in ice cream scooper or similar spoon into a hot non stick pan or add oil to a regular pan and fry the fritters.
  4. Cook for 5 minutes on each side. Until they are golden brown.
Homemade Mayo

Ingredients
  • 3 egg yolks
  • Olive oil
  • Mustard, to taste
Instructions
  1.  Whisk the egg yolk until creamy. Whisk in oil until the consistency you like. Add mustard to taste.

1 comment:

  1. I made aioli last week with some of my leftover yolks! (Though I did NOT inform the.boy that he was eating uncooked eggs...so don't tell.) It really is a whole other thing from storebought mayo. Crazy. Your green bean fritters look so so so good!

    ReplyDelete